Remove part of stud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I would like to make a cut out in my sons room and mount his tv in this space as he's short on space in his room, what I am wondering is can I remove say about 1mtr of stud in the middle as I'll be framing behind the wall anyway and will support it as illustrated in my crappy drawing :) View media item 60051

Sponsored Links
If you cut out the stud and make an alcove, what will you fix the TV to?

I am assuming it's still a flat screen, I think you can mount them with plasterboard fixings, though I'd much rather screw through to the studs.

You could screw some plywood to the other side of the studs, which would also strengthen the joists and give you something to screw the mount onto, you also wouldn't need the diagonals you've drawn, assuming the plywood spans 3 joists in width and the whole height.

Sponsored Links
several concerns here
noise transfer
nothing to support the bracket
rigidity off the weakend wall
and does the stud support anything abouve

once i have the frame on the back i was going to screw some chipboard i have here onto the back for securing the flat screen to, then once it was done i was going to line the bedroom side with plasterboard i have here to make it neat. The space i am going into is the space that has been closed off above stairs as this has been lowered.

if the space is free behind can you not move the whole stud back and use the sloping part for shelves or drawers assuming its not load bearing

Plywood will have better screw retention than chipboard.

Obviously this is not professional engineering advice, but if you screw plywood to the height of the studs, spanning width of 3 studs with 150mm centre fixings, it should strengthen the wall, and give you something to screw to.

Plywood will have better screw retention than chipboard.

Obviously this is not professional engineering advice, but if you screw plywood to the height of the studs, spanning width of 3 studs with 150mm centre fixings, it should strengthen the wall, and give you something to screw to.

Ok, thanks for your help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back