remove plaster before battoning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently doing my Girlfriends flat up, the walls are lime plastered. It has blown round some of the windows I have removed this and sorted the gaps that caused this. But with the cold weather I have noticed how cold the walls are, so I am going to board the walls with Foil backed Plasterboard. I was going to batten, then screw the plasterbaord on. Do I need to remove the lime plaster or can I batten over the top?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on the condition of the existing plaster, consideration should also be made, that this plaster is overtime going to deteriorate and that is what you are wanting to securely fix to. I personally would remove back to brick, block, stone(others may not). At least were the battens are to be fixed. Also insulate the void.

It's a big messy job to remove all the original. I'd use insulated bard if I were you.

I would leave in situ if its not hanging off but ensure you fix battens through to the brick.

Sponsored Links
I will make sure the fixings go through to the brick, but most of the plaster is solid, so will not bother to remove it all. I was not sure if insulating the gap would pull through moisture. I was going to leave an air gap and use foil backed plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back