Remove plaster to allow bricks to dry out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in a room below a troublesome valley gutter which has leaked and had several attempted repairs over the years (I will post about the the roof repair on a different thread) I have discovered the paint was doing a remarkable job of concealing just how damp the walls beneath are.
The walls are plastered with a grey (cement based?) plaster (not plaster board) and having removed a small section of plaster near the ceiling the brick behind is very wet.

I have scraped a lot of the paint away and would say a 1.5 x section almost to the floor and a 0.75m 3/4 of the way down is damp. I have put a dehumidifier in the room.

I know this is hard to answer but how quickly is the wall likely to take to dry (assuming the underlying leak is fixed), weeks, months a year?

Would removing the plaster to speed up the drying process significantly? Then once dry getting a professional in to re plaster.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Good idea, when treating failed DPC's it is normal practice to re-plaster half way up the wall as the plaster may continue to be hygroscopic (got a taste for water sort of waterholic!) and continue to give trouble.

And if the plaster is grey all through to the bricks it'll be a lightweight bonding with a grey siraphite finish, so yes get it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back