Remove Section of Wall - Cut or Drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking some advice for easy removal of part of a wall inside kitchen. It's painted brick so can see mortar lines, and point at which I'm removing is end of brick mortar line, half brick and so on all the way down.
So do I hire or buy (for future use as well) a disc cutter and slice down it, or drill out the mortar lines, remove bricks and replace back the half bricks to make good?
Only reason considering drilling out is because i'm inside and don't want dust everywhere or water everywhere if using dust suppression but maybe drilling out sounds like a crazy idea!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Chain drill it straight down. I find if you drill a brick top, middle and bottom with an 8mm SDS bit it will often crack neatly in half. A hoover taped to the drill will take care of the dust. A disk cutter will cover your house in fine dust and won't cut all the way through the wall.

Hi All,

Looking some advice for easy removal of part of a wall inside kitchen. It's painted brick so can see mortar lines, and point at which I'm removing is end of brick mortar line, half brick and so on all the way down.
So do I hire or buy (for future use as well) a disc cutter and slice down it, or drill out the mortar lines, remove bricks and replace back the half bricks to make good?
Only reason considering drilling out is because i'm inside and don't want dust everywhere or water everywhere if using dust suppression but maybe drilling out sounds like a crazy idea!

Thanks
As above - we always stitch drill then hit the stitches with a bolster chisel in the machine.

Thanks, will take this approach. I also have to take part of a wall away below a window for a door. One side of the wall meets another on the inside so can't get a cutter or drill in straight from the front or top, assume you just have to go in at an angle and do best you can to make not a complete mess of it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, will take this approach. I also have to take part of a wall away below a window for a door. One side of the wall meets another on the inside so can't get a cutter or drill in straight from the front or top, assume you just have to go in at an angle and do best you can to make not a complete mess of it?
Do it from the accessible side.

Missed the obvious there then will get an extra long drill bit to reach across the cavity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back