Remove stuck/ corroded Shower Valve Handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to adjust the temperature on the thermostatic valve, however having removed the locking screw with an allen key, the handle will not come off. I had a similar issue with the valve downstairs, but some WD40 wiggling and using a bit of fabric to get some leverage managed to get it off.

Thus far the valve upstair is not budging. I have tried:
1. WD40
2. Using fabric hooked to each corner of the handle to pull with all my strength
3. using a claw hammer to gently pry it off (with wood on the back), if I use more force I am sure I will break the handle.

I am sure that you guys all have some tricks up your sleeve for this exact problem and am hoping you have a trick or two that can help.

Thanks

Jon

ps - the annoying this is that this has only been in place for 3yrs! IMG_1344.jpg IMG_1345.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you can turn the handle so the grub screw hole is at the top ,do so and apply more wd40. Leave for half an hour. Tap it with a rubber mallet ,lightly,from the front. As though you want to tap it on . Then try pulling it off. If still no joy ,try heating the handle by pouring very hot water over it ,carefully. The heat will expand the metal and ease removal further.

If you can turn the handle so the grub screw hole is at the top ,do so and apply more wd40. Leave for half an hour. Tap it with a rubber mallet ,lightly,from the front. As though you want to tap it on . Then try pulling it off. If still no joy ,try heating the handle by pouring very hot water over it ,carefully. The heat will expand the metal and ease removal further.
Light tap of the hammer and off it came.

Cheers buddy...knew someone would have a clever trick!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back