Remove the tanks and pump from house open vent boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have house with open vent boiler, the problem is that the tanks and negative pump are in the airing cupboard just outside my room which makes a dripping and pump noise throughout the night, with obvious problems.

The house is flat roof so there isn't a loft to move the tanks and pump to, is there a way to remove the tanks/pump and keep the boiler?

The gas guy I called said the only option is a combi boiler, are there any other?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The boiler is a Vaillant 428.
The pump is a N3.5 because the tank is at the same level of the top bathroom.

How noisy are these pumps normally? This one is appallingly loud.
The house has 2 bathrooms and a cloakroom.
What other details are needed? Sorry I'm a newbie on these matters.
Thanks

it shouldn't be dripping. Perhaps there is a leak.

The pump should only be running when either the radiators or the cylinder need to be heated up. Your time switch, the cylinder thermostat, and the room thermostat should prevent it at other times.

A pump should be almost inaudible anyway. If you have a small home it can be set to lowest speed.

Sponsored Links
Move the pump to where the boiler is.
Turn pump speed down to 1.
If pump is noisy could be on it's way out I suggest replacement.

Sorted.

Thank you guys,

JohnD: The drip is water getting into the tanks.

The pump is a Twin N3.5 shower pump but all the taps come out of it, (including toilet cistern), except the kitchen sink.

Thanks,

Nuno

The drip is water getting into the tanks.
The Feed and Expansion tank for the radiators? Or the cold water tank?

If F&E you have a leak

If CWC you probably have a leak if it keeps dripping. but if you mean when refilling after use, you can get a modern silent filling valve.

Hoe high above flooe level is the cold tank? You probably don't need a pump except for the showers, and it could be positioned next to the shower.

Hi John,

The dripping is the refill of the cold water tank, can you send me a link to one a silent filling valve?

http://youtu.be/g3n5Q7aqjRw is movie of the pump and noise.

The pump is a Monsoon Universal N3.5 Twin.

Thanks

no need for the pump to have been installed like that

the tank filling valve sounds to me like it is contantly running, so I think you have a leak. Look inside the WC cisterns to see if their valves are running. Also look at the overflow pipe for the tank in case it is overfilling. Ask around your friends and neighbours for a competent plumber over 40. No need for a gasman as he does not need to touch the boiler. The big advantage of fitting a new combi boiler is that it will transfer money out of your pocket and into the installer's. Advantage to the gasman, that is, not to you.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-pro-side-entry-fill-valve/21704

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back