Remove Towerstat RF and use a wired room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My parents have a Potterton Performa 30 HE that was installed with a Towerstat RF wireless thermostat. However my parents struggle a lot to use it and it has had reception problems so I want to replace it and just use a good old fashioned analogue dial room thermostat.

I've googled around for the installation manual

http://s1.postimage.org/6g6d4by63/boiler.jpg

..as well as looking inside the boiler and both say to remove the wired link between terminals 1 & 2 (which is present at the moment), and then connect to the external room thermostat which makes sense.

However, i've looked at the current reciever for the Towerstat and it plugs directly onto the main control board with it's own connector, having live, neutral and two black wires which i presume connect to the relay inside the reciever to switch the central heating on or off depending on what's being transmitted from the Towerstat thermostat.

Do I need to disconnect the existing towerstat receiver connector from the board... surely if i leave it connected, then it will mess up the operation of the external thermstat.... i.e. it would only switch the boiler on when both the room thermostat and the Towerstat are in the ON state?? perhaps i need to cut the black wires from the Towestat and permenantly connect them together??

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back