Remove Varnish from Decking - Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to remove varnish from my decking. The owners before me had put varnish instead of wood stain on this decking and by the time I moved in, it had all started to peel off in places and look a mess.

I have tried paint/varnish remover. I tried the b&q brand which didn't work very well and then I tried a dearer brand which wasn't any better.
I tried using a pressure washer/scraper in conjunction with the remover but my decking is now a total mess. Bits of come off in places but I want to get rid of virtually it all before I can apply the correct wood stain to it.

Yesterday I bought an heat gun, which after reading the manual says for "indoor use only" and did absoultely nothing outside. I think I've probably browned the wood in places by putting the nosel too close.

I have spent a fortune and probably buying brand new decking wouldn't have cost that much more think about it.

Before I do, anybody got any ideas what else I could try? Any specific products or just general tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depending on the size of decking, you could do it the old fashioned way and get a wire brush(either hand or rotary) and get on your knees. Obviously going with the grooves and that should shift most if not all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back