Removed a radiator and now no radiators will heat up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'll try to explain but i'm not all DYI trained :oops: so i'l do my best.

Husband has removed a radiator in the living room from under the back window as we are having some french doors fitted. He drained the system, turned the water off took the radiator off and then placed two stop ends on the pipes that were leading down the wall (flow and return pipe) to the radiator which was removed. Turned water back on from the stop tap, bled radiators then turned the heating on to see if everything is ok but none of the radiators in the house will come on.

What has he done wrong?

I knew I should have got a plumber :(

Sponsored Links
I'l try to explain what type of system it is as I don't know the correct terminology.

Boiler in the kitchen heats a large tank in the attic??? I know that sounds dim but not sure how else to explain.
I can tell you it's NOT a combi boiler.....

What can he do to sort the air lock out?

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't believe he's a friggin builder :rolleyes:

i would cause none have a clue about central heating systems. ;)

is your pump in the airing cupboard with your copper hot water cylinder ?
K2N7PRCAY0REE8CAJBHX6UCA5F1QZUCAWJZ.jpg

when you switch the system back on is the boiler firing up for a few mins then shutting down ? or tripping the overheat stat ?

The tank is in the attic not in the air cupboard (it used to be in the airing cupboard but it was moved to the attic when I had a boiler replaced) from the airing cupboard two copper pipes together go up into the attic (they are getting hot very hot - think they're the pipes from the boiler leading up to the tank) then another pipe at the back of the airing cupboard which is getting warm but not overly hot. The water was extremely hot so I ran it all off.

The boiler is coming straight on but then after been on for about 30 mins it shuts down.

where is the pump ?
is it a fully pumped system ?
do you see any of these type of valves maybe near the pump ?
imagesug.jpg
or
imapo.jpg

what valves are near it ?like this
imapo.jpg
or
imagesug.jpg

is the pipe hot on eirther side of pump ?

You wouldn't believe he's a friggin builder :rolleyes:
Builders look at plumbers when they are working and think: " No problem, I can do that."
The results are the same as women watching men park, and think: " no problem, I can do that."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back