Removed chimney leaking on ceiling - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a chimney removed and before it was removed it was leaking on the living room ceiling (upstairs chimney breast removed, downstairs had been removed previously).

The builder got up on the roof but couldn't see any obvious reason for the leaks. Flaunching and flashing were all fine. He suspected an old cowel being the problem, as it had very large air vents, whereas the newer ones we've got have got much smaller air vents. He cemented up a few of the vents to stop the rain from driving in.

Tonight we have heavy rain and although the chimney in the bedroom has been removed, it is now dripping on the new ceiling in the bedroom. Quite a bit. About one drip every two seconds.

One option I've considered is having the pot removed. We don't need it anymore, we're never going to use that chimney as it isn't there. If we have it removed though, will we need to vent the remaining approx 10 feet of chimney in the loft? It is actually 'vented' so to speak as there is a big hollow gap between the bottom of the chimney and the ceiling, as that is where the steel beam is supporting the remaining chimney breast. Would that be sufficient as a vent? I was guessing yes, but wasn't sure.

Also the builder stuffed insulation up the hollow chimney so that we didn't lose all our warm air up there from the bedroom below. This has got soaked due to the dripping, but again, I assume even with a bit of rock wool up about two feet of the chimney, it could still breathe.

Any advice about the leak and whether we can just remove the pot and cement over would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back