Removed Olives From Copper Pipe - Can I reuse the pipe ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have typical radiators in my house.

Whoever fitted the radiators mangled the compression nuts on all of the connections between the lockshields / trvs to the copper pipe. It looks as if they were tightened up using a set of badly fitting mole grips ??

When decorating I decided to replace the LS and the TRVs on several of the radiators.

I used an olive puller to carefully remove the brass olives from each of the 15mm copper pipes.

I noted that there is an indent around the copper pipe where the olives were located.

I appreciate that the olives have to tighten down on the copper pipe in order to create the water tight fit.

What I am wondering is whether the new LS and TRVs will tighten down on the existing pipe and create a water tight seal.

I was thinking about applying some Fernox LSX around the indent in the copper which would under the new olives as a belt and braces approach.

What I am wondering is whether to try this approach ( which might sound like a bodge ) or whether to cut into plasterboard wall and replace the length of 15mm copper pipe with new.

I would be interested in everyone's experience on this matter.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
New is usually better, however I have re-used many pipe and new olive setups, a good few wraps of ptfe and should be ok.

Should work but try it first. If it doesn't work, then start mashing holes in your wall..

Sponsored Links
New olive and some paste should be fine.
You'll know pretty soon if it ain't.

Can you post a pick of a couple of the worst ones? Just so we can see how badly necked they are.

If it was me though, I have to say I wouldn't take the chance and would cut out the damaged tails and replace them if it's easy enough to do.

As dilalio said, a new copper olive and some jointing paste would normally do, if the pipe is badly strangled and you're handy with a gas torch you could "Tin" the olive on the pipe, you don't want to be digging holes in walls if you can avoid it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back