Removed wallpaper from plasterboard wall-underneath is a mes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have stripped the walls in the hallway and all the walls are plasterboard.
It is a complete mess underneath with holes from wall plugs (ok have filled them with Polyfilla) but where there is a paint or thin plaster on top of the board, this has come away in different size pieces. Some seems like a layer of paint whereas some of it seems like a very thin layer of plaster. The surface is completely uneven. Also there are parts of the wall that need to be evened up a bit. I was reading some earlier posts and one suggested rubbing down and skimming with Easifill. Can I use this for all these problems?
Should I try and skim the whole wall ? (Try meaning I've never done it before) and if I do, do I have to use 2 coats? or even better is there some miracle paint been invented that will cover all this?
I am intending to use lining paper after because I want a smooth finish.
Bit of a tall order but we have put lining paper on other walls and the dips show through. (and those walls weren't nearly as bad.
Hope someone can help.
Cheers :(

Sponsored Links
Do you have any photos that you can upload that shows the extent of the problem?
If the walls are slightly uneven and there is not a great deal of damage, easifill can be used and sanded down.
But if the walls are damaged and all over the place, I would suggest a two coat skim.
But sounds like you do not have a lot of plastering skill or knowledge, sorry if that sounds harsh.
If you decide to DIY it you could make a bigger mess than it is already is, Plastering is a skill and practice is needed to attain a quality finish.
Not trying to put you off DIYing but I would recommend you get a pro in to make a good job of it.
But lets see some pictures first and access what you have.

Sponsored Links
It's amazing what you can conceal with Easi-fill applied with a plastic spreader and a rub down with sandpaper. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back