Removing 2 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

hoping someone can help!
I need to remove this 2 gang light switch from the wall (wall getting knocked down).
I was planning to connect the appropriate wires from the switches together in a junction box in the roof space.
Trouble is I'm not sure which wires to connect!
The output from the 2nd switch on this plate (right switch) is redundant.
Thought I could connect all the reds together, all black together and all earth together, but something tells me it's not as simple as that!
Need to do this job today, so any help much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Rich

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply.
I have a single switch and a double switch (pictured) which is used at opposite ends of the room for a single light.
The double switch (pictured, which I need to remove) - one switch is for the ceiling light (left hand switch) the other (right switch) is for an outside light which I have already removed (redundant) but as there is 3 live wires (com, L1, L2) for this switch I'm guessing that some of them will be needed to maintain the circuit.
If I was to get rid of the switch which wires should I connect together to maintain the circuit but lose the switch socket?
Thank you

Ok. for the redundant switch.
It would be advisable to put each wire in a separate connector block.
Only two wires would be reqired to operate a light in the way you mention so I cannot be sure how it is wired.
If you can find the other ends of the wires you could disconnect and remove completely.

The left switch.
Connect wire A to wire B and separately terminate wire C.
If the other switch works upside down then
Swap B for C and separately terminate B.

Connect all the earths together.

As for the wires connected under the tape.
Connect them all together.

Obviously if any of these is in the same cable as any wire you can remove completely then they can be removed as well.

Sponsored Links
This is really great help - thank you!

Just a question - what do you mean by "separately terminate wire B"? Do you mean add this black cable (B) to the other black cables under the red tape or just terminate it in a separate space in a junction box?

No. put it in a connector block on its own.

As for the wires under the tape - only connect them all together if they already ARE connected together.
If not, replicate what is already there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back