Removing 2 load-bearing walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a bungalow that we're doing some renovation on - it's got an extension on the rear (both walls in question are within the extension). My wife spoke to BC who advised that we would need an architect and a structural engineer - the engineer's involvement I understand, but not sure why the architect would be required?

Could anyone give an idea of cost involved for the architect and engineer?
We have the plans from the extension, so was hoping there might be a way to remove the architect from the equation.

Reading around, I gather we might be able to get the walls down and RSJ'd for around £1000 a piece (not including finishing)?

Sponsored Links
You certainly don't need an architect for this type of work. What you do need are structural calcs from an SE.

An SE will sketch out the structural arrangement within his calcs.

Thanks Tony - as I said, I figured as much but they'd told my wife on 2 separate occasions that we needed to submit architect's drawings along with the BW application, so not sure where to go from here :confused:

Thanks Tony - as I said, I figured as much but they'd told my wife on 2 separate occasions that we needed to submit architect's drawings along with the BW application, so not sure where to go from here :confused:

No, not true.

First of all, to many lay people (and most building inspectors) anyone who draws plans is an 'architect'. In fact, probably the majority of plans for domestic building work submitted to local authorities are not drawn by registered architects but are done by technicians or draftsmen.

Secondly, there are two methods of building control - 'Full plans' and 'Building Notice'. Under the building notice proceedure, plans are not submitted, but the council just inspects the work as it goes along. This system is specifically designed for small works eg small extensions, garages, and structural alterations etc. It saves the cost of having plans drawn.

So you don't need 'architect's drawings' as (incorrectly) advised by your inspector. You do need structural calcs, which will be checked by the council's own checking engineer (not the building inspector). Your SE will include a sketch of the structural layout (probably just a free-hand sketch on an A4 sheet) to enable the council's checking engineer to see what's goung on.

Simple!

PS Sorry, just noticed you're in Glasgow. Scottish regs sometimes differ from English, but not markedly so. I might be wrong but would be surprised if the procedural matters of building control differred that much.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Tony, that is very helpful.

Just doing a little reading and cost for the SE seems to be around £300 (I'm presuming this won't double for the 2 walls).

Read something else stating some authorities let you put in over spec'd RSJs that wouldn't require SE calculations...would be nice! But one wall will need a 3m RSJ and the other over 4m, so may be some serious steel required anyway.

Had a guy out to quote and he said as ithey were the original walls (with cavities), they would both need twin RSJs - just wanted to confirm that was the most efficient way to approach it?

You can do it with twin beams - they are usually bolted together with spacer tubes.

Alternatively, you can use single Universal Column sections (google it)- these are 'H' shaped; a typical size is approx. 8" x8". You can use these for cavity walls if you have them tack-weld a 10" wide plate on the top to give the extra width.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back