Crack in load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently had some building work done; dorma and rear extention. Since the work has been completed and paid for, a large crack vertical crack has appeared in one of the internal laod bearing walls. There is a new steel beam sat on the wall taking the weight of the roof of the new extention. The property was built around 1920 and has no concrete footings.

The architect provided the plans and the structual engineer the calcs for the structure. On the structual engineers calcs it said that existing structure would need to be varified when opened up.

The builder got on and built what the plans stated, no problems there. But i dont think that the footings were checked and the wall is cracking due to the load pushing it down?

My question is; who should i approach first to get the cracking sorted out?

Regards,

Sponsored Links
How can you be sure that the cracking is not down to the dry spell and that it is merely coincidental regards location to the steel beam?

I find it difficult to get me head around the fact that neither the architect, the builder, the structural engineer, the building control officer or the homeowner found it necessary to investigate the existing foundations supporting a new (and important - load wise) steel beam.

Who is responsible - take your pick. :rolleyes:

Unless this is at a wall corner, you don't tend to get vertical cracks from this situation.

Are you sure its not just a plasterboard crack?

Sponsored Links
Might be worth giving the SE a call and seeing what they suggest, they may wish to come see whats causing the crack..

But first give us an idea of how serious it is.. pictures help.. also how wide is the crack, 5mm? 10mm? 1mm? full height floor to ceiling? ground or first floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back