Planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
have bought bungalow 6 months ago. it has a 19 foot by 10 foot extention
to rear which was being used as dining room. I have converted this into a kitchen diner. The extention is built with single skin 5 inch blockwork, rendered on outside and plastered on interior, it has a flat roof, 2 large windows & 2 doorways 1 exterior. This extension is about 20 years old with no planning permission. However I had it inspected by a structual engineer who's report found it to be in a sound condition. I have also got an indemnity insurance on it. I Am planning another extention (with permission) which will link onto about 8 foot of old one. What Is likely to happen when planning officer sees the existing extention.

Sponsored Links
No damp at all. Some narrow 1mm wide cracks on exterior only, surveyor & struct eng had no probs with.

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking you don't need planning permission if the extension follow the building regulation criteria. See this. When you applied for your next extension plan they may take into account the cubic metre volume of the last extension size. From what I understand they cannot touch you after 24 months (?) providing it's not unsafe or an eyesore to the neighbours. I would ring your local building control office for advice and they are really very helpful.

They cannot touch you after 24 months. Sorry dont understand, what can't or wont they do after 24 months. PS Thanks for link, very helpfull.

They can't make you take it down but having that said that the extension is probably within the building regs anyway ! Best to ring the BCO

as masona said give them a call. There are a lot of factors to take into account, depending on where you live and your councils interpretation of the planning laws. If you live in an area of outstanding beauty your permitted development is less, if you live in a terraced house its less, some count a garage built at the same time as the house as part of the permitted development, some dont. I think you may be getting the picture that yours may well be ok as a permitted development under the planning laws, but then again it may not!
If you give them a ring they will help not hinder!

Thermo

Planning and Building Control are separate offices, and very often developments will require separate approvals from both. They usually act entirely independantly.

Planning should only be concerned with issues like the size, materials, character, access, overlooking, etc. not 'aesthetics', though this is a huge grey area.

Building Control should only be concerned with compliance with the building regulations.

Long stop on enforcement (e.g. making you take down something which didn't have planning permission) on planning looks like 4 years.

see

http://www.willowbrookcentre.org.uk/factsheets/factsht9.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back