Conservatory Planning Permission??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are starting to plan our future conservatory.

We are hoping to build a P shaped conservatory, with the top of the P being approx 12 foot deep by 10 feet wide and the bottom of the P being about 7 foot deep by 6 foot wide (max dimensions 12 foot x 16 foot)

Our house was originally a 3 bedroom detached house with a joined on garage. Approx 25 years ago the owners of the house extended the garage sideways by about 6 foot (length of the garage is about 25 foot) and put a bedroom above the garage (the additional bedroom is 4m x 4m)

I think I would like to have heating in the conservatory for winter but I'm not 100% sure on this.

I've heard various things about the 10% rule, and if you don't have heating you don't need planning permission.

With the 10% rule is it the amount of ground space used by an extension or the amount of floorspace generated? ie, is it just the 6 footx25 foot that the garage has grown by or does it include the bedroom as well?

Any thing else to think about?

Sponsored Links
10% rule?

Anyway, google for Permitted Development.

The previous extension has most likely used your PD allowance, and you now need to apply for planning permission.

Heating is a building regulations issue, not planning. Basically, the conservatory must have an independent heater for it not to come under building regualtions

Just been doing a bit more searching and the 10% bit might actually have been 15% and I think that's the PDR.

I know there is a rule that it must not be closer than 20m to a highway or pavement, the nearest will be 36m away.

I think the existing extension if it only counts the ground space taken up is approx 14m2

The rest of the house is approx 60m2, so that would give 15% as 9m2. So as you say the allowance is probably already used. The existing extension obviously had planning permission.

From reading more topics on here I think the best route is to phone my local council planning dept and get them to confirm

Under permitted development you are allowed 70 m3 (not squared) of development. If you have existing extensions, then they have used some or all of this volume. The volume includes roofs too

Ignore all references to m2 or %, thats something else

Your conservatory is going to be about 40m3 so that would leave 30m3 left. The 4x4 bedroom is 40m3 inside - so not including the wall thickness and roof, that alone takes you over your allowance

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate,

That confirms what I thought,

It'll be planning permission then!

the company we used to do our drawings were very helpful and only charged us £250 to produce the plans:

£250 for just for drawing basic plans on A3?

It's not a planning service, there is no help with planning queries or anything else, Doesn't look like there is even a site visit :eek:

And the site owner really needs to run a spell and grammar checker over the site :rolleyes:

It's at least £150 too much IMO

sorry,
I was only trying to help. £250 isnt bad when we had been quoted £600 and £450 from 2 local Architects. The Company were v. helpful, quick and yes the plans were on A3 - but there were several different drawings, so I suppose they all add up to an A1 size drawing.

Anyway

Good Luck

Clair

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back