Insulating / Sealing Loft Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use a bit of a loft space as a storage cupboard but it has air vents which come straight in to it making it quite cold - it also has no insulation which again makes it cold.

I would like to seal it up a bit to make it warmer, cleaner and more useable, but I don't want to cause any problems with ventilation etc.

The loft is above the garage and used to be accessed through a hatch from the garage, however the loft is also to the side of the bedroom (The bedroom is also above the garage) so I put a door in between the bedroom and the loft space to make it easier to use and I put floorboards down so you can walk in there.

It's not over high - the door is 5 foot, the highest point inside is about 6 foot sloping down to the ground over a distance of just over 6 foot and there is a joist towards the end of the slope.

The floorspace itself is about 6 foot x 14 foot. The two end walls are brick and the wall between the bedroom and the loft is plasterboard (but only on the bedroom side - it's just open in the loft with polystyrene insulation blocks jammed in between the studs)

I was hoping I could insulate the roof and run plasterboard down to the joist at the bottom, then run a verticle piece down to seal off the end space - where the vents are.

Something just seems wrong to me though with doing that! Is it wrong?

Do you need any more details?

I'll try and draw it up and post up a couple of sketches

Sponsored Links
As it is now:

STORAGE.gif

With the plaster board added:

PLASTER.gif

Do you need more info to help me with this?

Just let me know what you need to know

Sponsored Links
use a rigid insulation board such as celotex or kingspan.

current regulations will ask for 125mm; 100mm between and 25mm underdraw. then foil backed (duplex) plasterboard.

25-50mm airgap needs to be left between the insulation and the roofing membrane.

the space could not be deemed as habitable as it cannot be practically occupied. but if you want to spend money insulating etc, so be it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back