Vaulting ceilings into loft and sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can advise me here. I live in an end of terrace victorian house 2 up 2 down. Our next door neighbours are planning to open up their loft space and vault the ceilings in their bedrooms. They also want to keep some loft storage space over the landing and slightly into both bedrooms. Looking at the party wall in my loft to theirs, it seems to be a stud wall and then plasterboard on top.

My question is, will this semi-vaulting of their ceilings affect or increase noise transfer (which is currently minimal) between our 2 upstairs levels? Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
i’d be concerned about noise and fire safety.

Thanks Benny - is there a standard they should be working to under building regs to ensure noise and sound are covered?

Sponsored Links
Thanks nose all. I should add that I don't believe they are going to remove any joists or do any structural work. It's really just case of knocking out the ceilings and making it good.

In the vast majority of houses, taking out the upstairs ceiling is structural work because the ceiling joists tie the feet of the rafters together and stop them pushing out on the walls.
PS or have I got that wrong? Are they just taking off the plaster and leaving the ceiling joists exposed?

Thanks Tony - as I understand it they are just exposing the ceiling joists yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back