Loft conversion / skylights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm planning to convert my loft to a useable space an office or maybe a new bedroom. I will put a staircase in up the side of the front bedroom wall boxed in with a stud wall, strenghen the loft floor with new joists, insulate, plaster and put a radiater in. I would like to have a couple of skylights put in, my question is do I need planning permission for all this.

Thanks for you replys

Sponsored Links
Providing you live in a house (not a flat) then no, you do not need planning permission. But you do need building regulations.

A competent builder should be able to deal with this under a building notice.

However I'd always recommend taking the time to have plans drawn up and submitted to a building control body in the form of a plans application. You get the added benefit of being able to use these plans to give to builders to get accurate quotes (as opposed to the cost uncertainty that a building notice can entail)

EDIT: Also, if you are in a conservation area then you will be restricted as to the type and size of roof light window.

Sponsored Links
You make an application. There are two options; 'building notice' and 'full plans'. Building notice is the simple procedure where you provide minimal plans and specification and basically make it up as you go along. I personally wouldn't advise this route for a loft extension. It's too easy to run into problems later on. Full plans is where you work out the design and specification and provide all the details to building control before you start work. They scrutinise and deal with any queries and when they are happy they pass your plans. As long as you then follow the plans you should be able to complete the job with no problems. You will need to provide detail on structure, fire protection and means of escape, condensation control, sound control, thermal insulation, stairs and access, heating and electrical. If you're not experienced you will need help. I would advise a suitably experienced local surveyor.

I will put a staircase in up the side of the front bedroom

Do you know that this is actually possible?

The "side" of the front bedroom implies the landing side, and I can't quite picture how this would fit in in a typical semi

Also, on semis, there is invariably the need for beams to take the new floor joists, so these need calculating and you need someone able to do this. And the position of the beams may influence where the stairs can go

And you may even find that the stair position may require higher ceiling in the loft which means a dormer to make the space usable

Hello Woody
The staircase would go up the wall between the front and back bedroom and a new door would be put through the new stud wall into the front bedroom and I would create new fitted wardrobes under the new staircase in the front bedroom. Im sure the loft would be fine to convert as other houses in the area have done this, some have dormer windows and others have skylights. Im thinking of skylights at the moment as I could do the rest of the work myself to keep the costs down, but once I have costed the project, I will get quotes from firms for a larger loft conversion with two large dormers, a large bedroom and a bathroom. I will then make the decision lots of hard work or sit back and relax. If I go down the route of doing it myself I will calculate the size of joists and beams required to meet current building regs. Thanks for your reply

.. and a new door would be put through the new stud wall into the front bedroom

I can see it now between the front and rear bedrooms, but regarding the above, the door from the stairs can't go through a bedroom and the stairs must lead directly to the landing with the door off the landing

The current door and frame to the front bedroom will be removed so the landing would lead to the stairs to the loft and the new studwall on the right of this new landing would have a new door into the front bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back