Removing 20mm from floor screed, to tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of tiling my Fathers conservatory floor, but getting to the tricky bit, around the sliding door.

The sliding mechanism is only 5mm above the floor screed, so I need to remove a good 1/2'' of screed under the door to get tile and adhesive under it... I'll have to put slight slopes in to bring it up the rest of floor level.

So whats the best way to take out 20mm ish of sand/cement screed over a 150mm x2m area..?

My initial thoughts are to drill a load of holes, then chisel out by hand or an SDS chisel... I could use an angle grinder but aware of the dust that would make.

Any other suggestions..?

TIA

Daryll.

Sponsored Links
Stick an aluminium angle against the current frame then tile up to it.

Thanks Foxhole, but I didn't explain very well....

The door is a "tilt and slide" door, which when opened moves out from the frame inside the conservatory, so needs 3 or 4 inches of clearance to slide, but the mechanism underneath the door is only 5mm above the screed.
(My parents originally had the conservatory carpeted, but had to cut the carpet away around the door and use thin vinyl under the door because of the small clearance.

My plan is to tile the whole floor, and so need to cut out the screed under where the door runs, (upto the line on the floor in the photo, 1 tile width), enough to put tiles under it.

Daryll.

IMG_20211119_113712398.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would get a small amount of kardean to complement tile and stop tile short of doors with a metal trim, infilling gap with kardean tile .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back