Removing a Cast Iron Bath-tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to remove a cast iron bath but have been told by people they are a nightmare to remove and weight a ton.

Has anyone got any tips on removing these and any stories of experiences they have had?

How much would a cast iron bath weight thats roughly 170cm long?

Sponsored Links
Too heavy to lift on your own, most of the time too heavy to lift with 2 people :LOL: I usually break them up, you need to start in the bottom corners and give it a good whack as its usually where the steel in at its thinnest and will usually break without much trouble, depending on the thickness you may need some earplugs :LOL: Use a lump hammer and watch the walls on the way down the stairs!

Start at the bath waste and work along in a straight line passing the over flow and tap centres.then work from waste to the back that puts it in half long ways.

Then quickly quarter it.

Put a dust sheet in it while breakin it,keeps the shards away from you.

lol this seems a pretty scary task! i was thinking it would be a quick 5 minute job to get this darn thing out!

I'm based in covetnry, the lad wants this removed and replaced with a 1700mm shower tray. Shower is already installed. He's a good friend. Would £150 be too low considering the hassle of getting the bath out?

Sponsored Links
you can either smash the bath with a big hammer or turn the bath upside down with your mate get a pillow each and over your heads it goes supporting the bath with your arms either side of the bath

It will take you about 15 mins to have it out.

Remove all connections to it (H, C & Waste), remove it from any wall brackets, flip it over so that it is upside down. Then with a sledge hammer (and a dust sheet over the whole bath to stop any shards flying off) hit it about half way down the long side, and about half way up. This is where the bath is at its weakest.

it will take you a good few blows with the hammer - but it will crack through. Once you have made a hole, follow that line across the bath so you have two halves and you should be able to carry these out. Or you can break them up into smaller bits and carry out easier.

Wear gloves, or you will cut yourself as you pick up the pieces. Even with the dust sheet over the bath its worth wearing goggles too.

as bournemouth said. Then if you just put the bits out the front, some very civic minded chaps with ear rings and tatoos, in a Transit pick up will make it disappear for you

Did you do it :?: will you be called Cast Iron Naz now :idea:

This is breaking my heart man.....I have just painstakingly restored one. Looking good to!
:D

I've heard it said that in the good old days, a plumber would put one on his back and carry it like a coracle.

They're bloody heavy - and watch out for the shards of the glaze - it is like broken glass.

I've never seen an in situ bath restoration job that's any good.

I like to listen to "the prodigy , I`m the Fire starter" when i smash theses up

Phrased I had a quiet titter at found on this site another section- 'endowed like a dehusked peanut'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back