Breaking a cast iron bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to get my hideous cast Iron bath out of the bathroom, a neighbour tried to move his and got it stuck halfway down the stair, they weigh a ton, how does one break a cast Iron bath?

Sponsored Links
Easy peasy, you just need these things:

p1237003_l.jpg

Remember that the iron bath is the size of a church bell, and you are hitting it harder than a bell-ringer. And you are very close too it.

And the shards of cast iron will fly out in splinters fast enough to stick in your skin, never mind your eyes

p1230797_l.jpg

p3174151_l.jpg

You can drape a sheet over it before you hit it, to catch moany of the splinters. Then you belt it, hard,
p1106932_l.jpg
until it is in pieces convenient for carrying downsatirs. The broken edges will be razor-sharp.

I've just done one used a sledge not a club hammer, covered it with a good heavy dust sheet {the bath}, be careful picking it up its very sharp, wear tough gloves .

Sponsored Links
sharp isnt the word. did one once and turned around catching my calf on a shard of cast iron. nice 6 inch gouge in my leg with a scar still.

I did mine many years ago, and with no protection- using a sledgehammer in the bathroom- I must have been daft- heads still going boinnnnng.
We asked the refuse boys to take it away- they came on saturday quick at the thought of selling it. Got a bit dissappointed I guess :D

yeah i would recommend the heaviest mellhammer you can find and start breaking it near the plug,then between taps and in the middle of the backrest.. usually take it out in 4 pieces beware they sharp

punchjoshua said:
leave all the bits on your drive and it will be taken away for free.
LOL - that's happened to me every time I've put bits of metal by my front gate - they mysteriously "dissapear" within 24 hours :eek:
I've thus far disposed of : -
Cooker,
metal garden edging
A bath
old metal handrail (with massive lumps of concrete on it from where it was set into the ground)
Fire
bits of old back boiler
sink
In this manner - my neighbour put out a cooker at 6pm last week for the council to collect the next morning, and by 6.45pm it was gone - I didn't even hear it being loaded up.

Now if only the local ****** can be convinced that bags of wees have scrap value...
:rolleyes:

This has to be told. one of my neighbours left an old solarium in his back garden (visible from the road) and one of those scrap metal blokes came to "nick" it. His van was already quivering with scrap metal, but he was determined to get these 2 solaarium sections on.

First one, he ended up dropping it on the floor. Anyone who has ever heard a fluorescent tube smash will know the noise they make. Imagine that 10 times over all at once. And the mess!!!!!!!! I'm surprised he didn't scarper then! But he managed to load it onto his van (12 feet high with rubbish). THEN HE WENT BACK FOR THE OTHER ONE!!!! And he DIDNT REMOVE THE TUBES! I thought he might have learnt his lesson! Fortunately he didn't drop this one, but it wasn't secured very well as he drove off.

And he did clear his mess up - borrowed a sweeping brush from another neighbour!

to break a cast iron bath safely you will need a
plastic or pvc sheet
good pair of working gloves
safety boots
good pair of thick trousers in case cast iron splinters
sledge hammer
ear defenders and goggles
or even better a mask with a visor what the council use for strimming grass
first lay the sheet on the floor
turn the bath upside down on top of sheet
put ear defender and visor on,the reason being when you hit the bath,splinters may fly at you and ear defenders so you are not deafened
once you have put the safety equipment on,hit the bath in the middle
if you have turned the bath the right way and hit it, the enamel would fly at you and cause injury or blindness thats why its turned upside down onto a sheet the sheet captures all of the enameal so that it can safely be disposed of .a builder toldme this as he was nearly blinded as he didn't turn the bath upside down onto the sheet
hope this helps

Have fun breaking a cast bath turned upside down , bit like hitting an arch from the top. :D

Strike a few heavy blows along the bottom centre and up each end , once the top roll has split it's plain sailing.

Ear defenders? , glasses? , dust sheets , full length body suits? , hard hats? , gloves? , protective clothing?......................by the time you guys set yourselves up for this precision engineering I would have had the bath out , broken up and on the front lawn. :LOL: :LOL:

The only time you turn a bath upside down is when it`s installed - then you get the apprentice inside it like a tortoise :mrgreen:

We used to get inside the bath with a club hammer inserted into waste hole and carry the fookers up the stairs single handed , what is it coming too now.........i'd take a bet most of the above posters have never taken a cast bath out ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back