Cast iron bath help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a cast iron bath that i need to remove , i have evrything ready to remove , .. but i have noticed that the bath is very heavy and i am finding it difficult to remove , i am on my own and to be honest i did not realise that it was cast iron . Could any please advice me on the best way to remove , i was thinking of trying to brake it up but not so sure . I have a budget for the plumber to do the plumbing work but never took into account the removal of the old bath . Any help would be apreciated . Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Lump hammer and safety glasses! hit center of bath all the way along then the same across to break enamel, continue hitting, chunks might break off, but you will end up with 4 pieces. Be CAREFULL edges are sharp, still quite heavy but each piece can be carried byone person.

Good luck

Thanks for the quick reply , i rpresume by centre you the middle of the bath starting at the bottom . Thanks

Yes, bottom of bath, hit wih hammer along base both ways, come up the edges and onto the ridge of bath, keep going till it breaks. Forgot to mention, it will sound like oyu are hitting bg ben, and also, watch your feet, as, and trust me, it hurts when they catch your toes!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks , do you know if the pieces after it as been broken up are ok to take to local recycling tip. Thanks

Its held up with feet as such but they are round with a threaded bar going in and curved wedge at the top radiused into the bath

Ear defenders, it is really noisy. Also as you start a crack, follow it along. Cast has a scrap value but if the enamel is ok then you may be able to sell it.

An old coal sack or unwanted blanket is good, and stops the bits flying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back