Removing a radiator for good.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So in past DIY career I have successfully replaced a radiator :rolleyes:

I now want to remove a disused radiator that some previous owner installed in the boarded loft room (long story). It was working years ago but I have turned it off at the valve and never used it.

The question is I now want to remove it entirely and just want to check what the best idea is for termination. The Rad is attached to a combi boiler central heating system so is part of a sealed loop. Would it be correct to simply drain the loop off and then terminate the piping under the floor level. Or do I connect the pipework together i,e the supply and return to preserver the loop?

Any help appreciated or if you know of a HOWto page please direct me there

Harmonia

Sponsored Links
Harmonia,

Sounds like a plan. You should'nt need to drian the whole system, just enough to empty the rad in question and its pipework.

Best If you can cap off as near as possible to where the supply pipes are teed of the loop.

If you're confident enough use solder fittings, failing that get som compression ends.

Hope that helps.

Rico

Thanks Rico. I have used solder in the past and prefer it to compression!

One thing so I would be better to terminate rather than connect the supply to the return to preserve the loop?

Harmonia,

You're welcome.

It all depends on how the rad is piped up.

Is it a continuation of the central heating circut or is it teed in to the flow and returns.

Rico

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I think more likely it was tee'd off as the rad was installed after the original Central Heating was installed. Reckon I need to go and investigate the pipework. Have a good weekend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back