removing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remoce a radiator in the bathroom as I want to re-plaster the wall behind the Rad.
Do I need to drain part of the CH system down to do this or will turning off the Thermostatic valve on one side of the radiator shut the water supply off to the radiator.
I also want to fit a shower into the bathroom. I have a normal system of an emersion heater and cold water tank.
Am I right in thinking that I can only install a power shower in this situation.
Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks, Alan.

Sponsored Links
On the rad side, you should be ok just by turning off BOTH valves on either side of the rad. Just make a note of the number of turns you did to close them, as this helps when refitting the rad.

Shower depends on a number of factors including water pressure, capacity of tanks, number of people in household etc. I'm embarking on a similar project...best to get some advice from a professional shower fitter on this I think.

Regards

Rick

can you please give me advice on how to remove a radiator completely from my central heating ststem, which is a combi boiler :D

This website has a how to section, see this

After you put the radiator back you will have to re pressure ise the system, buy turning the valve on the fill loop and watching the guage until it shows 1.5 - 2 bar.

If you search the threads you will find more infor and even a picture of a fill loop

Sponsored Links
Turn off both radiator valves on each side & drain the radiator.As for your shower depending on your bath taps try and connect a temporary shower hose/fitting onto your taps and raise the shower head to see what pressure you get.

Anonymous said:
I want to remoce a radiator in the bathroom as I want to re-plaster the wall behind the Rad.
Do I need to drain part of the CH system down to do this or will turning off the Thermostatic valve on one side of the radiator shut the water supply off to the radiator.
I also want to fit a shower into the bathroom. I have a normal system of an emersion heater and cold water tank.
Am I right in thinking that I can only install a power shower in this situation.
Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks, Alan.

Turning off the TRV and the lockshield valve should be ok, but if the room gets very cold i.e. about 3 degrees celcius then the TRV may open up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back