Removing a stone fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before making a mess of the job I thought I'd post here first.
I have an electric fire and stone surrounding fireplace that I'm removing before having plastered.

Will there be screws/brackets holding it against to the wall? Any tips for finding them and where they will be located?

The bottom section (hearth) is sliding out as I've nudge the skirting board so I'm guessing this is just held in place by weight and the carpet currently?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
In my experience there will be brackets of some kind screwed into the wall hidden by the plaster.

Pick away at the plaster until you find them, probably 3/4 the way up either side. May also be some along the top edge to keep the mantle shelf secure.

As above.

Is there a flue behind the elec fire?

Run a utility knife blade all around the edge to break the paint and plaster seal.

About 175mm from the bottom and 200mm from the top dig the blade in to feel for the metal clips on either side. These dimensions are for older fire surrounds but maybe they will work after trying the above suggestion?

Its possible that the mantle is held in place by gravity and a little silicone. Cut the edge seal and attempt to gently lift. Any clips would be about 100mm to 150mm from the ends.

Remove the hearth after removing the surround.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back