Removing part of stone fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm wondering who/what type of trades person I would need to get in touch with regarding removing and patching up the brickwork that is next to, and attached to, our fireplace.. Or even if that is possible! Rubbish (and messy) photo, apologies, but it starts just before the end of the fireplace and continues along the wall under the stairs. I guess it was used as a TV stand as it has a gap underneath. It looks as if it is properly integrated into the brickwork of the fireplace, and the bottom part (hearth?) stops short too so I'm not even sure if this is doable.

If i had it my way I would remove the entire fireplace too but my husband loves it :( we have newly bought this house and this is my compromise.. If its possible!

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_181029.jpg
    IMG_20220119_181029.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
Certainly a stone mason, or a bricklayer that's competent in stone work.

Hi Kerryn,
I dont see any brickwork?
Do you mean the fireplace surround?
If needed, any activity that would affect your fire might require a trades person?

Last edited:
Hi, sorry yes, the surrounding stone.

It's an electric fire, but we are looking to keep the surround, just not the part that continues on from it but seems to be integrated.

I'm aware the photo doesn't really help, but sounds like I'm after a stonemason :)

Sponsored Links
I'm aware the photo doesn't really help, but sounds like I'm after a stonemason

Yep stonemason, but that looks like a laminate floor which will not continue under the stonework you are considering removing. Which means the will be a large gap in the laminate where the stone was on the left. How do you plan to address that? You might be struggling to get a match to the existing laminate.

We will be replacing the floor entirely and getting a plasterer in for the wall (y) a pricey job all round, yet clueless how much the stone removal will be! :oops:

We will be replacing the floor entirely and getting a plasterer in for the wall (y)
OK - you may no actually need a plaster. It depends how clean it comes away from the walls. I have something similar, which I built soon after I had my house replastered top to bottom, rather than damage the plaster I simply keyed it to the wall using screws and rawlplugs in the mortar joints.

a pricey job all round, yet clueless how much the stone removal will be!

You can save yourself a lot of money by removing it yourself, it's not too involved, just hard work. Maybe get a stone mason to just do the patching to the left corner of the fire surround you are leaving in. Just pile the stone up neatly then offer it on Facebook, you may get something for it.

I built mine and wouldn't want to be without it. It covers the entire fireplace wall, lift up timber tops, provides a massive amount of storage space under it, serves as a bit of an heat store and is very practical.

You can save yourself a lot of money by removing it yourself, it's not too involved, just hard work. Maybe get a stone mason to just do the patching to the left corner of the fire surround you are leaving in. Just pile the stone up neatly then offer it on Facebook, you may get something for it

It's tempting to remove ourselves, but we don't know where to begin! We have no experience in DIY. And it definitely looks like the part we want to take away joins into the fireplace so would we just leave that end part for a stonemason to tackle?

Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_091946.jpg
    IMG_20220126_091946.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220126_092003.jpg
    IMG_20220126_092003.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220126_092021.jpg
    IMG_20220126_092021.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 53
It's tempting to remove ourselves, but we don't know where to begin! We have no experience in DIY. And it definitely looks like the part we want to take away joins into the fireplace so would we just leave that end part for a stonemason to tackle?

It's perfectly safe demolition, which needs no special skills. Loosen the tops, take 'em away. Hammer and chisel the blocks loose, one by one and take them out. See how it goes until you get to the fireplace and how the blocks you want out, fit into that. Maybe take them out, or leave it to a stone mason. If you have never done any DIY before, then a perfectly safe demolition is an easy introduction.

Hi, I remember building one of these fireplaces back in the 70's at my first home, (Bradstone?). The side extension was an integral part of the fireplace build, however I'm sure a competent bricklayer would be able to remove it, but would have to make good the gaps when removing the toothed-in stones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back