Removing an old cast iron soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone give me some advice on the best way to remove an old cats iron pipe on a house. My concerns are how to best take it apart - due to the weight and also the height of the pipe.

I am moving a WC and therefore need to put in a new plastic soil pipe.

I was thinking of using a grinder to cut a a peice out of the pipe then smash the rest with a hammer - and repeating this all the way down the soli stack. Once I reach the bottom I would use a chain cutter to make a clean cut to convert to palstic - would this be correct.

Any tips / advice would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1st tip, find out if you're allowed to replace it with plastic.

it's a lot of work if you have to re-instate it

Heres how I do em.
Run a hacksaw around the bottom about six inches up. Just create a line a mm or so deep where you hope it will crack.[Your Angle grinder idea will be better to create the same effect and you could cut most the way round it] Whack it with your hammer just on this line. The idea is to swing the bottom section to one side so that you can wedge a ball of newspaper in to stop any further debris getting down the drain.
Then work from the top down a section at a time as you say but smashing just above each joint with the hammer. You can often use the pipe itself to lever the lugs off the wall or just smash the fixing lugs off as you go but that way you will have to crowbar the nails out of the wall. It's easier said than done I know.

I do em for fun because I have done loads of them but I suggest you think safety all the way. for this job.
Hire scaffolding if necessary. Have someone else [responsible] around. Dont let them stand below you. Make sure if you are working above a door that the door is locked and no one uses it while you are working. Keep nearby windows closed. Keep kids, pets and breakables out of the way. If working off a ladder lash it top and bottom so it doesnt move. Keep the 'landing' zone clear. Its easier to ask a neighbour to move his car than to tell him you dropped your soil pipe on it! They call it risk assessment nowadays. I just call it common sense.
When you feel the weight of that topmost section of pipe be ready for it, cos cast iron is heavy stuff especially if working off a ladder. You either have to get it onto your shoulder or across your arms for the descent. It's good to know with a bit of foresight that you can just drop it rather than risk going down with it if you do get into difficulties.
Think Safety Safety Safety

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back