Cast soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm taking my soil stack down at the top because is damaged to th first joint down which is about 2 ft I need to remove..
So what is the best way to get this section out..
Could I just smash it just above the joint, but do I risk pieces of cast iron dropping down the down pipe ...
What other way can I do it ..angle grinder around it ..
Ideas please..

Sponsored Links
Certainly don't smash it up, you are bound to end up with bits in the stack. Cut just above the join you want to get at, so you can get a purchase on the pipe section left to remove.

Certainly don't smash it up, you are bound to end up with bits in the stack. Cut just above the join you want to get at, so you can get a purchase on the pipe section left to remove.
ok so I will use my angle grinder which is 115mm disc size, what disc will be ok for cutting around the cast iron pipe...

Sponsored Links
With an angle grinder consider that the iron thrown off could cause rust staining on any light patio slabs, either cover or "Hoover" the patio after finishing ;)

With a 115mm disc you will not be able to get through in one go, so you will have to cut away in sections (steps if you like) then clean up once the top section is removed.

And wear a mask and goggles, that metal dust sticks in your throat for days. :cool:

With a 115mm disc you will not be able to get through in one go, so you will have to cut away in sections (steps if you like) then clean up once the top section is removed.
sorry a bit thick here..what do you mean by cut away in steps.

Last one I did I cut about 2/3 rds around .the small size of the grinder and the pipes close position to the wall prevent you going all the way around.
I made the same cut about 5-8 inches above this ( depends how big the head of your grinder is)
I then cut 2 vertical lines (one each side) joining the horizontal cuts and removed the curved rectangular piece ,which allows me to fit the grinder inside the pipe/ opening slot just created and complete the cut all the way around inside the pipe
That give you an idea of how to go about it?

i put the following into the Search facility: "cutting into a cast iron soil stack" and out (first in the Q) came the following comprehensive how to do it post from mnb in 2006.

OP, why not try it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back