soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l have a upstairs toilet and the soil stack comes down the outside wall to the drains. The soil stack is cast iron and l would like to replace the downpipe section with plastic can this be done. Will a plastic pipe fit onto cast and is it hard to do, would l need any sealants the joint thats meets plastic with cast. The reason l want to replace the pipe is l think it's blocked as the toilet is filling up and wont flush away, l've tried a plunger but this made no difference and l checked the drain and this is clear so l thought l might as well smash the down pipe to clear the blockage as l prefer plastic anyway but can this be done.....

Sponsored Links
l have a upstairs toilet and the soil stack comes down the outside wall to the drains. The soil stack is cast iron and l would like to replace the downpipe section with plastic can this be done. Will a plastic pipe fit onto cast and is it hard to do, would l need any sealants the joint thats meets plastic with cast. The reason l want to replace the pipe is l think it's blocked as the toilet is filling up and wont flush away, l've tried a plunger but this made no difference and l checked the drain and this is clear so l thought l might as well smash the down pipe to clear the blockage as l prefer plastic anyway but can this be done.....

I'm no plumber but the thought of all the **** that will line the pipe and you "smashing" it to find the blockage is ugh.... can you not take the toilet off then run drain rods in to clear the blockage???

Hi

You will probably have realised this but if your soil pipe is blocked, the contents will be under pressure and any hole or undoing of the pipe will result in you getting covered in sh*t! I know this happened to me on saturday morning!! I thought it was a leaking boss.

Simon :eek:

Sponsored Links
remove the pot theres liable to be a rim block stuck :evil:
Remove the pot ! do you mean the toilet base. Is this a hard job to do as l have never done it before. Can someone give me info and step by step instructions on how to do this as l will give it a go. Do you have to put new seals on the joints at the back of the toilet and are they hard to get off and put back on. Will give it a go today. Thanks

Replys please need to sort this s**t out as quick as possible... :(

http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/homebase/assets/ht_replace_wc.pdf
Which type of WC do you have? High level, low level etc?
Should be easy, but take care if the pan is cemented onto the floor and there is always the possibility that refitting the water supply pipe to the plastic ball valve (or equivalent) can prove a bit troublesome, but should be easier than smashing and replacing a stack.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/homebase/assets/ht_replace_wc.pdf
Which type of WC do you have? High level, low level etc?
Should be easy, but take care if the pan is cemented onto the floor and there is always the possibility that refitting the water supply pipe to the plastic ball valve (or equivalent) can prove a bit troublesome, but should be easier than smashing and replacing a stack.
Low level, l thought l had sorted it out but the toilet is blocked again..

How did you sort it ? Did you remove the WC pan? Where was the blockage?
if the drain chamber is clear, then the block must be between the pan and the exit of the soil pipe to the chamber. If you rod from the chamber, then the pipe can be cleared or if you removed the pan, you could clear the pan and connections to the soil stack pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back