Change a cast soil stack for plastic..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really hope someone can help me out here and give me some knowledgable information on how to change my cast soil stack for a plastic one where l can run my upstairs basin and bath waste into...
At the moment the basin and bath waste come separately out the wall into a hopper/pipe and the cast pipe in same upstairs bathroom comes out the wall and down into the drain and is vented ..
I would like to change the cast soil stack for plastic so the basin/bath water can run into the stack without using a separate hopper/pipe.
I also want to change the adapter at the toilet which is attached to the stack , everything wants changing and I just need to advice as l've never done this before..
So what parts and sizes will l need.
Will l need any sealants.
Correct way to assemble the stack and change the part attached to the toilet and out the wall to the stack.. Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
The questions you are asking proves that this job might be too big for you, get some quotes and take it from there.

Andy

The questions you are asking proves that this job might be too big for you, get some quotes and take it from there.

Andy
with due respect Andy,you do not know me and know how capable l am... I regard myself to be hands on when doing d.i.y jobs, but because l have not done a certain job before you assume the job might be to big for me...
All I'm asking for is advice , I've was always told when l was a apprentice many years ago , it's better to ask if you're not sure than to just go ahead.
Thanks for your reply Andy but the the questions I asked you did not answer..

Sponsored Links
This is very easy.
To remove the LCC cast iron soil stack:

Start at the top joint and do this for each joint;
You need to drill four holes in the bottom of the joint, this will let the lead run out as you apply heat. Once the lead has run, you will be able to lift the pipe out of the joint. So when happy and with help, break the lugs that secure the pipe and lift and lower ( hit the lugs with a club hammer and chisel ) These cast iron pipes are heavy so ensure your safety and take your time.
If you leave the last, bottom section of cast iron pipe in, you can then run the new plastic pipe up from this joint. Once the new pipe is all in place, push home some stuffing into the joint then finish with plumbers mate. (For stuffing, one or two turns of rope)

Hope this is of some help.
Pete

What you propose is not DIY work. It requires experience because it could be dangerous to you and any neighbour or pedestrian.

It would require two people working from a tower, cutting and lowering short lengths of CI pipe.

If the stack is unstable in any way it could come crashing down as soon as you try to work on it.

The soil branch from the WC pan spigot might need changing - if its old it will need changing.

The stack base might need digging up to install a correct rest bend.

You would never drill and melt the lead joins - using a flame & messing with molten lead at height is a recipe for an accident or damage to property. The pipe is snapped or cut just above all sockets.

OP, you claim competence yet you haven't even posted a pic of the stack in question?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back