Removing and reinserting kitchen cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're considering having our water supply pipe replaced and the plumber (who is approved by the local water board and seems legit!) obviously needs to bring the supply into the house.

He has proposed removing the kitchen cabinet next to the sink in order to access the floor and bring the pipe in there.

It's a single cupboard so he said he'll remove the kickboard, detach the cupboard from the worktop and slide it out, and then simply slide it in again when he's done.

My missus is concerned the cupboard will never go back into place perfectly straight\level etc. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience?

As an alternative, I'm wondering whether to tell him to simply cut a large section out of the bottom of the cupboard so he can access the floor without moving it. Likewise, does anyone have any thoughts on whether that would drastically affect the core structure\strength of the cupboard?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Sponsored Links
I would certainly do it the way the plumber suggests.....if your luck is in, the cabinet will slide out and usually its easy enough to lower it a fraction on its adjustable feet.
There may be some carpentry involved - maybe the plinths aren't individual lengths or whatever, but its far easier than cutting the cupboard floor.
Worry ye not - it'll go back just fine.
John :)

Very easy to do if the cabinet is on adjustable legs and the screws/connectors holding it to adjacent cabinets/ the back wall / the worktop are all accessible.

Less easy if the older style where the sides went all the way down to the floor and / or if the flooring has been laid around the cabinets unstead of under them.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back