Removing apples.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before but a quick search didn't give the answer specifically. (Lots of apple tree threads to look through :eek: )

I have a small bush type apple tree (James Grieve - eaters/cookers) which was planted 2 years ago and is about 7' tall. Last year there were 12 apples on it, most of which were fine. This year there must be around 80 on it, some of which have started falling off.

After being told by a friend that I should, my question is:

Do I need to remove some of the smaller apples to encourage the others to grow bigger and better or will nature do the work and thin them out naturally?

My fear is that if I remove some and then some of the remainder fall off, I will be left with a very small crop.

The label says for a compact tree to trim back new side shoots to 3" and leading shoots by half in July which I have done since planting but there is nothing to suggest thinning out the apples.

As always, any advice is appreciated.

mrH :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link Stivino,

Unfortunately, only having a small garden means I have to keep it in check otherwise I wouldn't have to worry about small crops.

I think I'll just leave the apples well alone and hope the majority of them do well as the smaller ones seem to be dropping off of their own accord.

Sponsored Links
This is a well-known natural phenomenon called the "June drop". Basically, the tree is getting rid of surplus fruit so it can put it's energy into producing a smaller quantity of better quality fruit. It's nothing to worry about, in fact it's sometimes a good idea to help the process by giving the tree a good shaking.

Geometer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back