Removing Auger Bit- Hold Chuck, Not Bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stopped thinking for a nano second whilst working alone on a job early one morning. (sleepless night from new baby twins!)

Wanted to take an inch auger bit from my cordless when stupidly held the bit instead of the chuck.
Clicked trigger, goodbye palm! Blood every where, very bad injury.

Felt queasy, puked up and then fainted knocking my head on the floor. Only out for a short time and when came round put my legs up the wall to get blood to my head, held arm up stem blood flow as i could not stand.

Wrapped t-shirt round hand and staggered to a chemist (dont know why i done that) who called ambulance. Been doing this job for years and it only takes a second for a serious accident. Off work for 5 weeks as could not use my hand.

Careful chaps............

Sponsored Links
hope your palm heals up ok.

i did something equally as stupid, cutting the holes out of chocbox's with my Stanley knife, slipped cut through the tendon in my thumb, blood everywhere.

climbed out of the roof and down to a and e.

i said to my self shouldn't really be doing this with a Stanley Knife, and then went and slipped, knife had a new blade so at least it was clean cut

thats me doing paper work for a couple of weeks.

off to plastic surgery tomorrow to get it re attached.

might ask for a tummy tuck if they have time.

hope your palm heals up ok.

i did something equally as stupid, cutting the holes out of chocbox's with my Stanley knife, slipped cut through the tendon in my thumb, blood everywhere.

climbed out of the roof and down to a and e.

i said to my self shouldn't really be doing this with a Stanley Knife, and then went and slipped, knife had a new blade so at least it was clean cut

thats me doing paper work for a couple of weeks.

off to plastic surgery tomorrow to get it re attached.

might ask for a tummy tuck if they have time.

Ouch - know what you mean - I did some DIY surgery on the top of my index finger in the same way - severed tendons are not fun!

was on a cherry picker couple of years ago doing some fascia repairs got my chisel stuck wiggled it about a bit and out it came like a bullet from a gun handle smacked me on the bridge of my nose,all i saw was stars,work mate(between horrendous laughter) was saying whys there blood dripping down every where?through my tears im saying it aint me no blood coming from my nose,turns out i had stabbed myself in the other hand,index finger right down to the knuckle,which i hadnt felt a thing considering i was crying my eyes out over been smacked on the nose,turns out i had broken it,moral here is dont get your chisel stuck and act like a loon underneath it while trying to pull it out :LOL:

Sponsored Links
well popped into plastic surgery today hoping they would fix it under local, they took one look said this is a general job see you tomorrow! apparently when you cut through the suckers they getted sucked back up your hand. So apparentlty they aqre going to have to cut my hand open to find it , pull it back up then sew it together! sound like hunting for cable under the garden, shame they cant use a metal detector!

well popped into plastic surgery today hoping they would fix it under local, they took one look said this is a general job see you tomorrow! apparently when you cut through the suckers they getted sucked back up your hand. So apparentlty they aqre going to have to cut my hand open to find it , pull it back up then sew it together! sound like hunting for cable under the garden, shame they cant use a metal detector!

Yup - had the same thing with my finger - I'm surprised they didn't tell you that at A&E.

The gross thing is when you try to move your fingers (or straighten my index finger in my case) you can feel the tendons wriggling around but nothing is happening.

For my finger they had to double the size of the incision to get to the tendon (I've got a semi-circular scar around the first knuckle of my left hand. You also need to be very careful after the op - esp. after a couple of weeks as apparently the tendon goes all soft around the repair and if you put too much strain on it you'll break it :eek:

Also make full use of the available pain killers just before you're discharged, I didn't and was in agony that night!

have a friend who had a skin graft on the top half of his thumb from a childhood accident.

all well and good until puberty.

The skin graft came from his backside, and he now grows nice thick black hair from his thumb!

He plucks!

well i am out of hospital , the hand is all wrapped up, its in a half cast, they had to open up the slice about an inch above and below.

The thing that really hurts is having your thumb bent back to keep the tendon short. to be honest i am sh*tig a brivck about the physio tomorrow. i have this nasty feeling the cast will come off the thumb will bend and the repair will snap!

gulp gulp

at least i didint need a skin graft from my arse, hairy thumb that just cracks me up.

remind me of a guy i used to know, he had an accident with his face, got it all sewn back together, you could never tell. however when he smelt nice food he used to sweat from his cheek, the nerve from his slivary gland had attached to his cheek. well funny!

Not me this one but my brother doing a job for me in the garden. Petrol hedge trimmer (heavy-duty 30" or maybe 36" blades, 1" cut). Held the telephone cable aside with 1 hand while he clipped with the other. Hit the cable and ran down it into his hand. I finger off (reattached at hospital) and 2 cut lengthwise along the bone like peeling a banana.

well i am out of hospital , the hand is all wrapped up, its in a half cast, they had to open up the slice about an inch above and below.

The thing that really hurts is having your thumb bent back to keep the tendon short. to be honest i am sh*tig a brivck about the physio tomorrow. i have this nasty feeling the cast will come off the thumb will bend and the repair will snap!

I wasn't allowed to have the cast off until 2 weeks after the op - I then had it replaced with a slightly smaller cast, then a velcro'd on plastic cast...I'd be very surprised if they do anything more than ask you a few questions! To put it in perspective I severed the extensor tendon on my finger which is less vulnerable than the tensor tendons as the muscles are much smaller/weaker - I wasn't allowed to use the hand at all for about a month and wasn't allowed to type for at least 6 weeks...

Also if the cast becomes really uncomfortable in the next couple of days go to the hospital (outpatients) and get the plastering dept. to do you a new one as the surgical casts can be rough as you like - I suffered in silence and lost feeling in my thumb as a result, the plastering folk asked why I hadn't been in to get it replaced if it was so uncomfortable :oops:

ouch above injurys sound bad,

worst i did was when running a new telephone line in my old house, drilled through both internal and external walls (1930's engineering bricks so drill bit got v hot..) via the cavity removed drill from wall and placed behind me so i could have a look through hole, however when squatting down i lost balance and fell backwards grabbing the drill bit then sitting on my hand...

after about 5 seconds the pain kicked in as my palm and 3 fingers had melted to the drill bit...

trip to the local walk in clinic "which i drove to with wet towel around my hand.."

3 hours later. gauze and bandages all over...!!! took 4 weeks to fully heel...

:)

you think you lot got it bad, I got a splinter today :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back