Removing Carpet grips/runners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a house with parquet flooring underneath the carpets. We would like to restore the flooring. We have taken the carpets up and the floor itself doesn't look too bad.

I'm not sure how to get the carpet runners up off the floor though without damaging the flooring (not sure if this is the correct term) - I'm referring to the metal guides with the prongs sticking up that grip the carpet in place.

Is there a special took for this as I dont want to damage the parquet. Also, I notice that some are nailed in place whereas others are glued - is there anything I have to do differently?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
For the nailed ones use a claw hammer or small crowbar. Use a small piece of thin scrap wood to lever the hammer on so it doesn't damage the parquet floor. There will be some damage if not from the lever and trying to make a gap to get the crowbar/hammer under the stip then from the nails.

With the adhesive it depends. I would try a hot air gun and warm up the glue and try and slowly lever up the strips.

After it's all done sand the floor and re-seal. That should also remove some of the damage caused by removing the carpet grippers.

Thanks. I was hoping there was going to be a special tool that was a bit more subtle than a claw hammer. Need to do something soon though as the wife keeps stepping on the spikes on the grips. And when she feels pain, so do I!

I'm jumping ahead of myself a bit but when I sand it what do I need to use to re-seal it. Is it just normal floor sealer or is there a special type for parquet?

You have a wide choise in finishing materials after proper sanding, from lacquer to oils and hardwaxoil. The last one is (in the end) the easiest to maintain,specailly when there are minor damages on the floor (with lacquer, the lacquer layer will be damaged and needs local resanding for proper repair, if you see what I mean).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.
The last one you mentioned - is that the one that will have the hardest wearing surface? I want something that will not mark too easily.

Anyone else any ideas about pulling up the runners - I'm a bit worried about using a claw hammer!

HardWaxOil will penetrate the wood for long-term protection and the wax in it will be you're wear an tear layer. It protects against all kinds of spillages (coffee, beer, tea, wine, saliva etc), is easy to apply yourself and very easy to maintain. We use it most of the times we install an unfinished floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back