Removing ceiling joists causes roof collapse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_5560.JPG IMG_5561.JPG no, not done this! Just after confirmation that the ceiling joists are in tension stopping the roof weight pushing the wall plate and walls outwards of my single storey 4x4m kitchen so I can leave my vaulted ceiling thoughts behind!

Sponsored Links
I am no expert but would think so

It might be possible to add joists higher up so you get a higher ceiling than present but take qualified advice
(And add before removal!)

I'm no expert either... but when I looked at doing something similar, I was reading that a raised collar roof seems to have joists sat a third higher up the roof, above this, it seemed a much bigger undertaking.

In the end, I changed the flat roof to vaulted, but had to install steel beam 4.7m and have structural calc's created for the council.

Sponsored Links
I shall have a look up there tomorrow. The ridge beam doesn't look all that chunky to me. Kind of sits on the bricks at the gable end but not sure at present if it goes into the wall of the house.

I would guess it does go into the house wall and sit on the gable end bricks, but how can I tell if it's supporting the ridge or not. Being tied in may just be to keep it in place rather than full support

assuming all those timbers are around 4x2 and the span is 4m then not as it stands. Also it seems unlikely they'd have done a structural ridge unless the ceiling was not originally specified to be there.
However never give up your dreams, with cost and effort you can do what you like. Just need to support the tops of the rafters before you cut out the joists. If you are doing it yourself you might be able to get an inventive SE and use flitch beams or something instead of steel. or remove 2 out of every 3 joists and tie things in differently if you want that look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back