Removing chimney breast and securing stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, as per the title, I'm considering removing an unused chimney breast in the dining room and a 1st floor bedroom of our semi.

I called the local council to ask them what I should do. They told me to contact a structural engineer to have a look to see what needs to be done.

The engineer told me the stack can not be secured in the loft and that a steel beam(s) will have to be placed across the ceiling of the first floor bedroom. It will hang down 20cm and come out 40cm from the wall. I am not at all keen on this idea.

I can not understand why nothing can be done in loft. The stack is a zigzag shape and seem to be sitting on a concrete slab which goes through the dividing wall.

Outside photo on the stack from outside: Click them to enlarge

Chimney breast in 1st floor bedroom:

Photo of the chimney in the loft:

Photo of right side of the water pipes seen in the photo above:

Photo of left side of the water pipes seen in the photo above: (shows the concrete slab)

Photos of the underneath of the concrete slab:

What do you guys think? Any advice?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
1. quote more from the SE report - reasons for ...

2. clear away chattels from obscuring the loft stack base and do more photo's

3. research on gov.party wall etc. and on this site and, say, screwfix.com forum

4. check with your neighbour, the condition of their stack, your proposal and the concrete slab on their side.

5. whats the condition and thickness of the party wall in the loft?

6. be more clear about the "concrete" slab

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back