removing constructional hearth = brick infill collapse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently renovating a ground floor suspended timber floor of a Victorian semi. I've just started removing a constructional hearth that was in front of a bricked-up fireplace, but after removing the concrete slab I realise that the earth underneath seems to also be supporting the brick infill of the chimney breast. I.e although the sides of the breast are supported by brick pillars down to the subfloor, the brick infill section is seemingly only supported on packed earth

Is it OK to remove this earth (to allow new joists, insulation, air circulation), or do I need to keep it / put in a supporting lintel / build a supporting wall to the ground? I can't tell if the infill was toothed in to the breast on either side without smashing the plaster off...

Thanks for any thoughts!

Attachments

• slab.jpg
    slab.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 253
  • earth.jpg
    earth.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 280
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back