Removing Crittall window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I unfortunately have a Crittall single glazed window to remove. It has a full height side opener and a fanlight, so I can get to 3 corners of the window.

There are scatterings of info. on here on how to remove them, but nothing complete.

I understand so far that I should remove the opening parts, the side opener by crowbarring the hinges apart.

I've found some screws, but haven't yet found a groove for a screwdriver.

Once I've released it on 3 sides, am I OK to attempt to lever the frame out without removing the fixed pane, or will it very likely shatter?

If it will should I go for it anyway, but cover the pane in sticky plastic? And bend the remainder of the frame in on itself, if it's not too strong?

I've read they can be a complete pain, and I can see the reveals have been rendered generously inside which could make it worse!

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
The window in question...

unnamed-3.jpg

Full height opener can be opened 180 deg, then cut through hinge with angle grinder or pop with crowbar.

Fixed light -smash glass outwards. Dont try removing window with it in, that wont end well!

Use recip saw or grinder to cut jambs, head, cill and bend inwards.

I expect the window is fitted with nsils in brickwork, be careful as you lever to avoid breaking bricks or plaster.

Thanks top Notch!

Not keen for glass to go everywhere, so Ill stick self adhesive plastic all over the glass.

The garage is block, so hopefully i cannot dislodge anything! If I batter the render I guess I'll need to patch it, along with where the top hinge currently sits within the render.

Good job i've got a mixed load skip here at the moment!

Sponsored Links
Yep they are an absolute T*at to get out when they are not in a timber subframe.
Angle grinder with lots of metal blades and or reicip saw with lots of metal blades required

Have fun!

Finally got this done today. Took a full morning to remove the old and fit the new as the new frame was a mis-measure, I had to grind and chisel out the sides a bit to make it fit.

To my surprise, the Crittall window came out well!

- Putty on fixed part was so old I could pull it off within 5 minutes using an old chisel, then deglase
- Grinder with metal disk through hinges for side and top openers, and then to remove the middle bits of the frame
- Pry bar under the middle bottom of the frame, and bent it up enough to grind through
- Pulled at cut section, and right side came free
- Grinder 3/4 up right side to remove, pulling hard
- Pull left bit, and cut 3/4 up to remove
- Top now already loose, so a good pull and it was out (Cut my leg a bit as it was sharp AF!)

Then I got my mis-measured replacement, had to grind and break 20mm out of each side to get it to fit,which was fun.

So, I think I got off lightly with the removal, as the nails were only very short. Some damage was caused to the internal render, but I'll make good in time.....

908D5BF0-6474-4139-9AAE-0803FAFA3872.jpg

IMG_2799 copy.jpg

IMG_2800 copy.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back