Removing Dried Plaster from Copper Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, can someone please recommend the best way to remove dried on plaster from copper pipe? We just had our kitchen re-skimmed and the copper pipes are a real mess. We are about to start painting but can't do this until all traces have been removed.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and how did you resolve it?

I must advise it is not possible to replace the copper pipe due to where it goes into the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Okay, thank you very much for your suggestion. Seemed like one of the more obvious ones but I wasn't sure if there was a better way.

I had considered using brick acid but I am not sure whether this would cause the pipe to corrode.

Sponsored Links
Back of a Stanley blade (in the knife obviously) to get large chunks off then as above: sand paper, wire wool, abrasive pipe cleaning strips which will give a key for the paint!

I find that wetting it thoroughly (use a small paintbrush) softens it so it scrapes off easier. It is also cleaner as it makes less dust. Once wet, a green pan scourer gets most of it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back