Removing emulsion paint from radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have several radiators in my house that are quite old, but all work fine. They have all been painted with emulsion paint - some with many coats. Is theer any way of removing this and getting back to the original finish if the rads - or are they like this forever now?

I have searched the forums but couldn't find anything.

Sponsored Links
I should think that to completely remove the emulsion paint would be a difficult and time consuming job, unless one of the advertised paint strippers works on emulsion. However, I had some rads which had emulsion paint on them and, a simple rub down with wire wool, and a couple of coats of spray enamel, brought them up like new. In my DIY innocence, I seem to think that the emulsion was a very good basecoat for the final finish. I did this a couple of years ago and they still look good.

Look at the price of a new radiator and consider how much your time is worth.

My new home had emulsion on the radiators. I gave them a sanding and painted them with gloss paint. They came up nice. I will though put new ones on eventually.

Sponsored Links
Take em somewhere and get em dipped..prob about a tenner each.

Youll spend that in paint stripper and wire wools...and plasters!

Hi

I have several radiators in my house that are quite old, but all work fine. They have all been painted with emulsion paint - some with many coats. Is theer any way of removing this and getting back to the original finish if the rads - or are they like this forever now?

I have searched the forums but couldn't find anything.

I know that this subject is very old but just incase, like I have, someone uses this to get some helpful tips i offer the following advice.

I have just redecorated a bedroom and have a thing for brand new rads, just think they give a new/clean feeling to a house. Anyway, was going to by one for about £40 but thought I would give stripping and repainting a go.

I used Nitromors general purpose stripper (£6), applied three coats, 1 then another when paint bubbles followed by scaping, then another after washing it down to get rid of residue. I did this in between paint and plaster drying time. Nitromors removed all emulsion (4 coats of) and original enamel.

Then give a good, but not too ririgerousub down with wire wool and a stiff wire brush in hard to get areas (we've all got those in the workshop havent we?)

I then applied Plastikote enamel radiator spray (£6), two coats, leaving 4 hrs in between.

The result?

A rad that looks brand new. I compared with those at diy stores and could not tell the difference.

To recap.

Nitromors (green bottle) general purpose stripper 3 coats - follow instructions exactly for top results.

Platikote Radiator Spray - 2 coats, follow instructions for best results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back