Removing emulsion paint from radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was faced with this problem today -
Ten years ago my wife (in one of her painting furies) painted a radiator in the spare room with emulsion and I wanted to remove this but not the original radiator finish.
I did a search on here and found a couple of posts but none gave a solution which just removed the emulsion but did not remove the original finish.

I have just done this successfully using the following quick and simple method ............

1/ Drain and remove the radiator and lay it flat on an old dust sheet outside.
2/ Mix up a strong solution of ordinary household Soda crystals - about three heaped tablespoons to approx 300ml. of hot water and a few drops of washing-up liquid.
3/ Brush the solution over the emulsion paint and leave for 15-30 minutes (re-brush if it starts to dry).
4/ Pour BOILING HOT water over the radiator and then immediately brush with a stiff bristled paint brush.
You may need to do this step in a couple of stages - pour the boiling water over half the radiator and brush off then repeat for the second half.

This was just an experimental try but it seems to have been about right as the emulsion just lifted and peeled off as a skin(s) like magic leaving the original white radiator paint completely unaffected !!!!!!!!

Don't use industrial strength Caustic soda as that may well attack the original finish - just the stuff sold for household use.

The removed skins can be picked or shook off the dust sheet.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Interesting tip.

Anyone know how I can remove masonry paint which has been applied on a modern metal garage door? The original white finish doesn't appear to have been sanded, so if the masonry paint can be removed without spoiling the original finish that will be one of my problems solved.

Wouldn't it just be easier to sand it then paint with radiator paint?

Sponsored Links
The emulsion paint had brush marks so these would show through any subsequent coats. It also had a couple of scratches and chips and these would need to be 'feather edged' when sanding with the possibility of rubbing through to the metal.
I think it would take a lot more time and effort to sand down (all those nooks and crannies) and re-coat and, unless you sprayed the radiator paint, you would not get a finish as good as the original.

The process I described took less than an hour (including removing the radiator) and required no further work other than re-fitting the radiator to the wall !!

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has the same degree of success with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back