Removing extensive roots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We recently had ugly, big bushes removed that was ruining along length of the fence. In the area shown, I’m trying to remove roots and excess soil to put down some bedding plants. However, some of the bush roots are so big and extensive it’s back braking trying to dig them out.

You almost need a halfway house to a stump buster. In lieu of that, was thinking there might be some liquid I can apply to make them rot prior to removal

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you
35572807-FC7A-4C70-9E2F-A4B55F5C22CB.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I would give up on trying to remove the roots/stumps. Any liquid to rot them will take months anyway and if not careful the liquid can poison the new plants too. I would be inclined to simply cut the stumps below the soil level with a saw so they are not visible are then decide exactly your layout of the new bedding plants(probably to avoid the main rooty parts and then just cut away any big roots that are getting in the way of where you want new plants. Over the years the roots will rot by themselves

I dug a Laurel out and the root ball was the same size as the bush, was a nightmare to get it all out!.

Sponsored Links
Yep, some of these roots are enormous. It’ll probably take a chainsaw to cut through the visible bits.

Thanks

Put some weed control membrane down then some potted plants and slate chippings.

Or hire a rotavator.

Andy

...and I wouldn't remove any soil if you can avoid it - just add on some well rotted manure (there's likely to be somewhere local to you where you can go bag it up free).

...and I wouldn't remove any soil if you can avoid it - just add on some well rotted manure (there's likely to be somewhere local to you where you can go bag it up free).

Thanks for advice. Re not removing soil- what you can’t see from picture is the depth of earth at the fence. It slopes down to about 6” at the front of the bed. I assumed I’d need to level it off as well as remove as many roots as possible

Thanks for advice. Re not removing soil- what you can’t see from picture is the depth of earth at the fence. It slopes down to about 6” at the front of the bed. I assumed I’d need to level it off as well as remove as many roots as possible
If it were mine I'd use some ground cover plants at the front to hold the soil in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back