Removing feather-edge panels without damage to arris rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a fencepost. I can do this quite competently.

Problem is the fence post is part of a feather-edge fence using arris rails joined to the fence post in question by mortise-tennon joint. There are 6 arris rails , 3 each side, attached to this post.

View media item 71829
Use of a repair spur is not possible due to a shed and concrete base on my side of the fence post and a rose bed on the neighbours side. The post needs removing and replacing.

The post is rotten at the base. I am trying to avoid damage to the arris rails during removal of the post because I don't want to have to nail all the feather-edge panels to new arris rails and fear damage to the panels while removing them from the existing arris rails.

Can anyone advise on how I can remove the featheredge panels on either side of the post and then refit them once the new post is concreted in without damage to the arris rails?

A separate problem is creating the mortise in the replacement post once I've concreted it in place.

Any solutions?

Sponsored Links
I want to ask this in a different way.
How to remove feather edge boards nailed in without out splitting, as to re-afix with screws

Sponsored Links
Almost impossible to remove the featheredge - if you want to try then a broad pry-bar (the middle bar in this photo http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p38134?table=no ) may help. Locate the nails in each featheredge and hammer the bar in between the arrios and board and lever the board off. The chances of getting all the boards off without splitting are almost zero. The arris rails will come out of the mortices when you rock the damaged post backwards. Cut mortices into new posts before you erect them - use the old post to get the locations. Place the old rails into the mortices in the new post as you place it into the hole and then concrete in place.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back