How do I Replace Arris Rails and Weatherboard Fence Sections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Arris rails on my fencing have reached the end of their life and need to be replaced.
The set up is 8ft * 4*4" (ish) concrete posts cemented in place with 3 arris rails between them. The posts have oblong holes into which the arris rails, having been shaped to fit , have been placed into. Each side reaching in half way.
I assume when originally fitted the post arris rails post system where set up serially, in that as each was fitted it was cemented in place.

My Question now is............. With the posts already cemented in place Is there a technique to replace the arris rails and fit new ones to them?

Each rail is in the order of 3 metres in length, is there enough "give" in them to bend them into place without dislodging the posts?

I am asking this , as I do not want to purchase the materials to do the job then find I need to use a completely different type of fencing system.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone is able to offer.

With All Kind Regards
Brian Bonner

Sponsored Links
they will give a little. The easy way to do it is to cut them to length and then to slowly remove a little from one end at a time until you can slide it all the way into one mortice, prise it into the other and then slide it back to equalise the amount of rail in both holes.

Start with the bottom one first.

Thanks Thermo,
The answer now seems so simple and straight forward once explained

Thanks once again
With All Kind Regards
Brian

Thanks Thermo,
The answer now seems so simple and straight forward once explained

Thanks once again
With All Kind Regards
Brian

Sponsored Links
Brian
How did you get on as I have the same fence setup
Did they bend at all.
I've seen you can order a pre cut tenion arris rail, did you cut yourself
Any pitfall
Cheers rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back