Removing fireplace and chimney completely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. We live in a long detached house built in the 60s. There were 2 chimneys when we moved in last year, the one for the old boiler which was sat in the kitchen has been completely removed since we had the boiler replaced and relocated. We now want to completely remove the large fireplace in the living room to make more space and were thinking of taking down the whole chimney stack from top to bottom so there’s no need to support any remains of the stack.
So far the chimney above the roof tiles has been removed and the hole tiled up and the should be pretty straight forward. However I have some concerns that the chimney stack and fireplace is interlocked with the internal wall it sits on so will damage the wall when removing. I’ve also read that the stack may provide structural support to the house itself?
Do we need to leave this to a builder rather than DIY ? Do we need a structural engineer to provide advice?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's unlikely that the chimney is stsndalone and doesn't provide dupport for anything else.
Removing the top of it, sticking out of the roof is never a problem, but in my experience chimneys are built alongside supporting walls and act as pillars.
Although not always.
I would prefer to ask advice from a SE.
However a good experienced builder might have a good idea of what's required.

Your proposal should be no problem with a 1960's house but eyes on site are needed. eg an experienced builder, a SE, BCO etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back