Removing foam strip backing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm preparing door frames for someone ahead of the doors being replaced and frames painted. The door frames had foam insulation strips on them (manually applied to the surface of the stays to keep drafts out.) I've removed them as best I can, however the tacky backing strip and some of the foam remains.

What's the best way to remove this? Chemically (and if so using what) or do I give it a go with my oscillating tool with sanding attachments? My thoughts on the latter are the tackiness might cause sandpaper to clog up very quickly and be rendered useless.

Any advice/tips welcome :)

Sponsored Links
Depends on how old it is, lighter fuel destroys many adhesives, though if its decayed then sharp knife followed by sanding.

Depends on how old it is, lighter fuel destroys many adhesives, though if its decayed then sharp knife followed by sanding.
Thanks. It's old, probably been installed for 30+ years. I'm not too bothered if the actual (very thin) adhesive strip is left on, as long as I can get all the gunk off and leave a tacky free surface for painting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back