Removing gloss paint from stained/varnished wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I recently moved into a bungalow which has PVCu rosewood double glazing, which is fine by me. However the roof fascias, which I gather were originally darkwood woodstain/varnish, have been overpainted with a vile dark brown gloss paint. :(

The fascias look to be in good nick so I am hoping to improve the appearance by removing the vile paint and restaining. If I use a heat gun to remove the paint will it cause problems with the timber/staining underneath? Or could anybody suggest another approach?

I am loath to go down the PVCu replacement route if the fascias are OK

Sponsored Links
Heat guns are good for this kind of job but can tend to scorch the wood if you are not careful. You could use a chemical stripper like NitroMors but I imagine you would need quite a lot if you need to do the whole bungalow. Strippers like PeelAway 1 are good but expensive, and judging by your username, not a viable option for you!

My advice would be to remove as much as possible with a heat gun and then use a chemical stripper, with a stiff brush, on any stubborn ingrained bits.

Thanks Mr H. It looks as though thats the way ahead, providing the wood does not get knacked. I have just measured the area to be stripped and its about 10 sq metres, so a 5L can should do the job.

I wonder if I can just go straight in with the Chemical as the bungalow isn't that old (1993) so there can't be too much paint on :?:

I wonder if I can just go straight in with the Chemical as the bungalow isn't that old (1993) so there can't be too much paint on :?:

I would imagine so, as most chemical strippers tend to eat through the first few layers with ease.
Just been reading another post that recommends RemovAll from Cirrus Systems, but never tried it myself.

Have fun! ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back