Removing gloss runs from stairrails etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently moved into a new house and I think the previous owner painted the stairs with their eyes closed - there are huge runs everywhere including on the base rails, spindles, newels and so on.

I want to repaint to white gloss so what is my best option? Am not sure sandpaper will be suitable as there is so much physical paint in the runs and I am worried about ending up with different levels on the surface from major rubbing and it will be a marathon job especially with all the edges.

Would a heatgun be an option? I fear the only option will be to strip all the paint off but I dont want to use chemicals if I can avoid it due to our little boy.

Jase

Sponsored Links
Sorry dowzer, using a heat gun will give you no end of problems unless you have big ideas about stripping the whole staircase back. Using a heat gun will melt off more paint than you need.

I think your best option is to stick with sanding and spend time on it, however you could look at sanding using the sanding 'mesh' of around 80 grit. It removes paint faster than paper as the mesh is 'open', you can cut it in strips to pull around the spindles where needed and it does not produce so much air borne dust as sandpaper.

About a fiver for a 5mtr roll from Toolstation or find it on e-bay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back